Friday, April 29, 2011

Hatroversy

The ladies of YBMMF spent the wee hours of the morning at the Ritz, fully enjoying the Royal Wedding (and a buffet). We were in agreement on many things, on which we will be sure to comment in more posts this weekend on perhaps the greatest fashion day of our lives (at least, recently). One of these ladies, however, divided the camp.

First of all; Princess Eugenie (left), no. I can't decide if it's more Helena Bonham Carter or Sharon Osbourne, but if that's the choice I'm down to, that is not good news for her. As a curvy girl, I know firsthand the importance of avoiding anything that looks like like a casing your sausage is stuffed into, if you know what I mean. The hat is actually not terrible, but nobody is going to give her any credit. Does it look like a beige spider is attacking her face? A little. But dang it, she's a princess, she's kooky, it's the biggest wedding ever - go for it!

Now, Princess Beatrice. I have previously lauded her for looks that make her look almost - but not totally - crazy, and girlfriends likes her Philip Tracey insanity. Therefore, I think this works, because of the monochrome nature of it and the very demure (and very nice) Valentino she's wearing below.

Readers, what say you? It was a pretty emotional debate at our table.

3 comments:

  1. The big beige bow on that hat was like an arrow beckoning you to "look at my teeth, look at my enormous teeth." Dress was OK, but I never noticed it because I couldn't stop looking at the train wreck on top.

    The other outift -- OMG, you hit it when you used the word Osbourne. It's Ozzy on the hat (that's a headless crow that died on her Robin Hood hat, right?) and it's 2003 Kelly on the dress. Hated the whole ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I see a picture of Princess Beatrice in that hat, I am not-so-inexplicably reminded of Cindy Lou Who.

    That said, I think the hat would have worked better with her hair up - down it detracts from what could have been, what should have been, an intriguing statement piece.

    As for Princess Eugenie - the blue-green-purple watercolor print, the line of bows down the front and, of course, the hat all scream Easter Sunday circa 1992.

    ReplyDelete
  3. StatelygentlemancallerMay 9, 2011 at 7:46 PM

    Liking Beatrice - agreed that it reinforces the notion that she's a fun kook and thus likely a riot in bed

    ReplyDelete